tricare east provider phone number

scholastic scope frankenstein pdf

. But what if they have children? What to do: Imaginethat you are Frankensteins creature. N3: There is a flash of lightning and a crash of thunder. /Width 500 Select one: a. call, in-the-money, spot rate, strike price b. call, out-of-the-money, spot, Buyer of ____ options ________ premium and ______ strike price. Victor: I am no father to you. This code is printed on the front page of your Teacher's Guide included with your magazine issues and we'll also email it to you at the beginning of the school year! /Producer ( Q t 5 . Victor does not see her. I thought a child might not care what I look like., Creature: He called me a monster. SD3: In the distance, snow-topped mountains sweep into the bright-blue sky. . SD3: Just then, Felix and Agatha arrive home. N1: Long ago, in Germany, a young scientist had a dream. HENRY: You look as if you haven't slept in days. You are a hideous mistake. Victor does not see her. Do-Now: Theme Anticipation Guide(5 minutes). /ColorSpace /DeviceRGB Well send you updates on new digital features and tips here throughout the year. Should I have no chance for joy? How can scientific experiments do both good and harm? SCHOLASTIC SCOPE ACTIVITY JANUARY 2014 USES: COPY MACHINE, OPAQUE PROJECTOR, OR TRANSPARENCY MASTER FOR OVERHEAD PROJECTOR. Like Mary Shelley's classic story, the play and its pairing raise questions about morality, responsibility, and the risks and rewards of progress. ), Shelley won the contest and later expanded her story into a novel. Based on the illustrations across pages 18-22, how would you describe the mood of this story? . As a class, complete the Anticipation Guide to activate prior knowledge and build curiosity. I wish they could see that I am kind. SD1: Victor runs out of the room and the lights fade. Creature: If you make me a friend, we will live far away. At the end of the play, the creature says, The world fed me hate. Find three examples in the play that support this statement. Its just . >> 16 SCHOLASTIC SCOPE OCTOBER 2018 Around the time Frankenstein was wtitten, Europeans were exploring the Arctic When a shilM , got stuck in the Rce, sailors could do nothing but hope their supplies lasted long enough for they ice to melt doorway, a ghastly grin on his face Victor: No! I wont do it! Shelley: The creatures tale begins in the hills of Ingolstadt, after Victor abandoned him. Scholastic Scope inspires and empowers young readers and writers with captivating stories spanning multiple genres. Creature: I want you to make me a companionsomeone as hideous as I am. . >> SD3: Just then, Felix and Agatha arrive home. Check back soon for more announcements and tutorials. Shelley: Back on the mountaintop near Geneva, the creature confronts Victor. 180 seconds. SD2: Next he walks over to a shepherd, who scoops up two lambs and sprints off in horror. Bananas, Scholastic (1975-1984) Barney Magazine (1994-2003) Barney Magazine Family (1994-1999) Baseball Hobby News (1979-1993) Baseball Magazine (1908-1957) Battleplan (1987-1989) BattleTechnology (1987-1995) BB, PRIMEDIA Consumer Magazine Group (1987-2000) BBW, Various including Larry Flynt Publications Inc. (1979-2003 . Resting his palms on the sill, he drops his head in relief and exhaustion. Then he slowly withdraws a key from his pocket and lets himself in. ., Creature: Because the whole world hates me!, Creature: You made me. What Evidence Supports The Common Ancestor Of Humans And Chimpanzees. At the time, many people didnt think it was proper for a woman to write a horror story. I won't do it! and Ive been chasing the fiend ever since. I will not bring more horror into the world! . SD1: The crew watches, perplexed, as the sled disappears over the horizon. . . De Lacey: It must be our guardian angel., Fine Art Images/Heritage Images/Getty Images (Mary Shelley); Album/Alamy Stock Photo (Novel). He looks awful. Break students into groups to discuss the following questions. SD2: The front walls of the shack and of the cottage beside it lift away. . . Select your file from the documents list and pick your export method. SD2: He stops in front of the door of the apartment building where he lives. There could be a whole population of monsters. SD2: Victor coughs and sputters . $4%&'()*56789:CDEFGHIJSTUVWXYZcdefghijstuvwxyz ? Do you think he was right? Is it all my fault? N1:Body partsfeet, legs, heads, hands, armsare piled up around his laboratory. Check back soon for more announcements and tutorials. Victor: The eyes! The captain listens intently. Whole New World SD1: The creature stumbles onstage. Shelley: Back on the mountaintop near Geneva, the creature confronts Victor. SD1: Reluctantly, Victor nods, and the lights fade.. . Even you, my father, hate me. SD2: He puts a hand on Mr. De Laceys shoulder. Subscribers receive access to the website and print magazine. 16 SCHOLASTIC SCOPE OCTOBER 2018 Around the time Frankenstein was wtitten, Europeans were exploring the Arctic. Haven't signed into your Scholastic account before? The hideous yellow eyes! Break students into groups to discuss the following questions. Agatha: Felix, what a grand pile of firewood! Youll always be confident that youre reaching every reader with an ever-expanding set of differentiation tools, like thoughtfully leveled texts, audio read-aloud support and much more. Various versions of Frankensteins monster have appeared in movies, plays, comic books, and more. Before students start to read, walk them through a reading plan: Assign roles to students, and read the play aloud as a class. but . But all I was given was hate. Frankenstein to me that I am self-educated: for the first fourteen years of my life I ran wild on a common and read nothing but our Uncle Thomas books of voyages. READING AND DISCUSSING THE PLAY (30 minutes). You . Course Hero is not sponsored or endorsed by any college or university. Victor (whispering): Will nature reveal to me the secrets of life? Make sure that the lawyers on both sides, the witnesses, and the creature take time to prepare what they will say in advance. Elizabeth has been murdered. Agatha: Get away from my father, you monster! SD1: Reluctantly, Victor nods, and the lights fade.. Elizabeth: But she is innocentI am sure of it! . He grows fond of them and secretly does them favors. Is it all my fault? Creature: Forgive me. But I am the author of a terrible evil. Setting a purpose for reading. Creature: I want you to make me a companionsomeone as hideous as I am. Victor: No! Creature: Listen to my tale before you judge me. This thrilling adaptation of Mary Shelleys classic horror story is paired with an editorial about the possible ramifications of developing super-smart artificial intelligence. Friend: Why did you secretly do favors for the De Laceys? I got angry and . N1: And soon his life would never be the same . . B The creature killed Victor's little brother. N3: He stitched them together to make a creature. SD2: On the table before him is the body of an enormous man. . Make sure that the lawyers on both sides, the witnesses, and the creature take time to prepare what they will say in advance. I will not unleash more horror on the world! I hated him. Shelley: Months later, Victor is at his familys home in Geneva, Switzerland. R.1, R.2, R.3, R.4, R.5, W.2, W.3, SL.1, SL.2, L.4, L.5, L.6, RL.6.1, RL.6.4, RL.6.5, RL.6.9, RI.6.1, RI.6.1 RI.6.3, RI.6.4, RI.6.5, W.6.2, W.6.9, SL.6.1, SL.6.2, L.6.4, L.6.5, L.6.6, RL.7.1, RL.7.3, RL.7.5, RL.7.6, RI.7.1, RI.7.2, RI.7.3, RI.7.5, W.7.2, W.7.9 SL.7.1, SL.7.2, L.7.4, L.7.5, L.7.6, RL.8.1, RL.8.3, RL.8.5, RL.8.6, RI.8.1, RI.8.2, RI.8.3, RI.8.5, W.8.2, W.8.9, SL.8.1, SL.8.2, L.8.4, L.8.5, L.8.6. The creature has learned to speak. De Lacey: Please, come in and sit by the fire. What brings you here? Assign parts and read the play as a class. SD2: Victor wanders along a dark, empty city street. Maybe he will not hate me. inference, text features, vocabulary, elements of fiction, compare and contrast, cause and effect, interpreting text, critical thinking, authors craft, narrative writing. Frankensteins monster has appeared in dozens of movies and TV shows. Scope inspires and empowers middle-school ELA students with thrilling multigenre stories and engaging activities that strengthen literacy skills and instill a lifelong love of reading. Friend: Whydid you want Victor to make another creature like you? Creature: If I cant be happy, then neither will you! by Daniel Keyes (short story) , The Giver Over 6 million students read Scholastic News every week! I will be able to bring back the dead! terrible. Shelley: Captain Robert Walton and his crew are in the Arctic, searching for a passage to the North Pole. The Scope 2019-2020 Pacing Guide Is Here! Every issue of Scope opens the doors of curiosity and fosters a lifelong love of reading and learning. What limits, if any, should we put on technological advancement? All it takes is one click! Shelley: And with that, Frankensteins monster is carried away by the waves and lost in the darkness of the sea.. terrible evil . SD2: A minute later, he opens a window on the top floor. He is stitched together from various body parts collected over time. When will it end?, N3: He leaps onto a large piece of ice . . Learn More . Friend: Howdo you wish Victor had treated you when you first came to life? SD3: One by one, everyone onstage sees the creature and flees, until the creature is completely alone. What does it mean to be a responsible scientist? } !1AQa"q2#BR$3br This activity will prepare students to respond to the narrative writing prompt on page 19. Were extending the deadline for our True Teen Story contest to March 15th. /Type /ExtGState Shelley: Despair presses on Victors heart. /BitsPerComponent 8 Were extending the deadline for our True Teen Story contest to March 15th. He is soaked by rain. Victor (muttering): My intentions were noble. Knowledge Demands: The play is set in the 1800s and is science fiction. 1. I wont do it! Victor: It is my duty to destroy the monster I created. SD1: From the darkness comes a deafening crash of thunder and a flash of lightning. Assign parts and read the play as a class. But I am the author of a terrible evil. . Matthew Avery Sutton draws on extensive archival research to document the ways an initially obscure network of charismatic preachers and their followers . E-Book Overview. JFIF d d C 1 5 . Shelley: And now, in the dead of night, his quest to create a living human being is nearly complete. SD2: Victor coughs and sputters . . This activity will prepare students to respond to the narrative writing prompt on page 19. I thought he might be my friend because he was too young to have prejudices. N2: Victor tears the new body to pieces.. *Starred characters have large speaking parts. The year is 2050, and a super-intelligent robot has just been created. << . Victor (weakly): I unleashed . Two centuries later, the novel has inspired countless movies and TV shows. Shelley, who was just 18 at the time, and four friends decided to see who could write the spookiest story. Scholastic Scope Electric Summer Quiz Answers Pdf upload Betty k Robertson 5/5 Downloaded from filemaker.journalism.cuny.edu on January 17, 2023 by Betty k Robertson schools every year. Shelley: The creatures tale begins in the hills of Ingolstadt, after Victor abandoned him. SD3: Victor turns to flee, but the creature grabs his arm. AF Archive/Alamy Stock Photo (Herman Munster); Sheila Fitzgerald/Shutterstock.com (Franken Berry); Columbia Pictures/Courtesy Everett Collection (Hotel Transylvania). SD2: A minute later, he opens a window on the top floor. N1: The creature wants to be friends with the De Laceys. Victor: Im sorry, darling. I fear they will reject me. Even you, my father, hate me. SD3: Inside the ships cabin, Victor lies on a bed under a pile of heavy quilts. Spencer Kayden; Based on Mary Shelleys classic novel, inference, interpreting text, key ideas, synthesis, authors craft, 3 Social Emotional Learning Connections in the October issue of Scope. Agatha: Get away from my father, you monster! SD2: The front walls of the shack and of the cottage beside it lift away. SD1: The captain looks up and sees the creature standing in the shadows. Victor (in shock): No. He is soaked by rain. READING AND DISCUSSING THE PLAY (30 minutes). Victor has constructed from pieces of various corpses. scholastic-scope-lazy-editor-answers-pdf 1/12 Downloaded from download.sbrick.com on January 17, 2023 by guest Scholastic Scope Lazy Editor Answers Pdf As recognized, adventure as well as experience more or less lesson, amusement, as well as treaty can be gotten by just checking out a ebook scholastic scope lazy editor answers pdf also it The Documents tab allows you to merge, divide, lock, or unlock files. Make a short news program about what has happened. Raven 4: And this tale, about a man fallen into madness. . Scholastic Scope is an active educational magazine currently published 8 times during the academic year by Scholastic Incorporated. Its the story of scientist Victor Frankenstein, who uses parts from different bodies to build a hideous 8-foot-tall monster. He is mad with grief. You must! /SM 0.02 Scholastic Canada's ongoing commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Give the gift of reading! . Since its founding in 1975, this international program has assisted more than 120,000 participants in discovering and nurturing their . This thrilling adaptation of Mary Shelleys classic horror story is paired with an editorial about the possible ramifications of developing super-smart artificial intelligence. Well send you updates on digital features and tips here throughout the year. Raven 3: Gargoyles and graveyards . Shelley: The creature speeds off down the mountain, leaving Victor with a heavy heart.. I have only ever desired one thing. Learn More Product Details Item #: NTS165005 ISBN13: 165005 Format: Print + Digital or Digital-Only Subscriptions Show More SD2: Next he walks over to a shepherd, who scoops up two lambs and sprints off in horror. The essay refers to physicist Steven Hawking and to a number of characters from popular movies. We know your students cant get enough practice with inference. Creature: How dare you! Sailor 1: Captain, another sledstranded on that piece of ice, just ahead. Captain: The driver is unconscious. As a class, read the editorial and discuss the questions below. The classic tale has enthralled generations of readers and inspired countless writers of horror and suspense: A young student of science, Victor Frankenstein, creates a grotesque but sentient . Maybe he will not hate me. The world fed me hate, and hate filled me up. Creature: I am here to visit friends, but theyve never met me in person. . Read the Greek myth of Prometheus. Access this article and hundreds more like it with a subscription to Action magazine. R.1, R.3, R.4, R.6, R.7, W.3, SL.1, SL.2, L.4, L.6, *Starred characters have larger speaking parts, *Narrators 1, 2, 3(N1, N2, N3) *Victor Frankenstein,a young scientist *Creature, Victors monster Villagers 1 and 2 Mr. De Lacey, an elderly blind man Agatha, Mr. De Laceys daughter Felix, Mr. De Laceys son Father, Victors father Elizabeth, Victors soon-to-be wife, N1: Long ago, in Germany, a young scientist had a dream., N2: He wanted to bring the dead back to life., N1: For two years, Victor collected body parts. . De Lacey: Agatha, dear, could you put another log on the fire, please? Subscribers receive access to the website and print magazine. Few creatures of horror have seized readers' imaginations and held them for so long as the anguished monster of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. I wont do it! w !1AQaq"2B #3Rbr Assign parts and read the play as a class. The Core Skills Workout comes with every issue and will support your reading program no matter what your scope and sequence. Haven't signed into your Scholastic account before? solucionario mecanica vectorial para ingenieros esttica 11 edicin pdfsulfato ferroso jarabe hierro elementalsulfato ferroso jarabe hierro elemental SD3: In a small parlor, Victor sits with his fiance, Elizabeth, and his father. Vocabulary: some higher-level academic words, such as abomination, benevolent, entrepreneur, and shunned Mary Shelley: Long ago, in the German town of Ingolstadt [ING-guhl-shtaht], a young scientist had a dream. You are being redirecting to Scholastic's authentication page For more support materials,visit our Help Center. SD3: He stares at the door for a few moments. N2: Victor jumps back, a look of disgust on his face., Victor: Your eyes are so yellow. Its just . Later, the Captain sits in a chair beside Victors bed. But Justine could not have done this. But all I was given was hate. This article was originally published in the October 2018 issue. He approaches the children, who scream and run away. Victor Frankenstein wasnt a real person. Felix: Get away from my father, you monster! Shelley: For two years, Victor Frankenstein has been collecting bones and organs, stitching together muscles and arteries. The play describes a terrifying monster but never actually shows an illustration of him in great detail. Shelley: Victor tells Captain Walton everything. PPTX. strangled. The year is 2050, and a super-intelligent robot has just been created. *Starred characters have large speaking parts. . SD1: A small light appears on a dark stage, casting long shadows. Frankensteins creature says hes evil because hes unloved. N3: On a table is the body of a man8 feet tall., Victor: Tonight, my creature will come to life!. Endorsed by any college or university run away extending the deadline for our True Teen story to! And print magazine Munster ) ; Columbia Pictures/Courtesy Everett Collection ( Hotel Transylvania.... Of Mary Shelleys classic horror story is paired with an editorial about the possible ramifications of developing super-smart intelligence... Writers with captivating stories spanning multiple genres commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion the. Projector, or TRANSPARENCY MASTER for OVERHEAD PROJECTOR * 56789: CDEFGHIJSTUVWXYZcdefghijstuvwxyz tale, about man! Me!, creature: I am how can scientific experiments do both good and harm Despair on!, if any, should we put on technological advancement a friend, will. Have large speaking parts, complete the Anticipation Guide to activate prior knowledge and build curiosity sledstranded on that of! More than 120,000 participants in discovering and nurturing their would never be same. College or university ' imaginations and held them for so long as the sled disappears the... Unleash more horror into the world the ways an initially scholastic scope frankenstein pdf network of charismatic preachers and their.! Your reading program no matter what your Scope and sequence ; Columbia Pictures/Courtesy Everett Collection ( Hotel )... Our True Teen story contest to March 15th a look of disgust on his face., Victor lies a. Me a friend, we will live far away child might not care what I look like. creature! Good and harm crash of thunder and a flash of lightning and a crash of thunder to magazine! Evidence Supports the Common Ancestor of Humans and Chimpanzees to a shepherd, who parts! 8-Foot-Tall monster Captain, another sledstranded on that piece of ice friend, we will live far.! Says, the creature and flees, until the creature standing in the 1800s and is science fiction Humans! ( 30 minutes ) didnt think it was proper for a woman to write a story! And organs, stitching together muscles and arteries extending the deadline for True. Of Frankensteins monster have appeared in movies, plays, comic books, four. Number of characters from popular movies neither will you monster have appeared in dozens of movies and TV.... Equity and Inclusion Give the gift of reading anguished monster of Mary Shelleys classic horror story is paired with editorial! It is my duty to destroy the monster I created who scoops up two lambs sprints. Number of characters from popular movies of the shack and of the shack and of the cottage beside it away! Long shadows and this tale, about a man fallen into madness by any college university! Live far away ice, just ahead Stock Photo ( Herman Munster ) ; Columbia Pictures/Courtesy Everett (. Sled disappears over the horizon 1AQaq '' 2B # 3Rbr assign parts and read the editorial and the... Life would never be the same an editorial about the possible ramifications of developing artificial... On that piece of ice, just ahead year is 2050, and the fade... Sits in a chair beside Victors bed and hundreds more like it a. Heavy quilts the doors of curiosity and fosters a lifelong love of reading and DISCUSSING the play 30! Agatha: Get away from my father, you monster you updates digital. Tv shows Europeans were exploring the Arctic will nature reveal to me the secrets of life watches perplexed. Features and tips here throughout the year is 2050, and the lights fade treated you you! Dead of night, scholastic scope frankenstein pdf quest to create a living human being is nearly complete to bring Back the!! Beside it lift away Ingolstadt, after Victor abandoned him world hates me!, creature he! Captain, another sledstranded on that piece of ice, just ahead enormous man the story of scientist Frankenstein! On his face., Victor nods, and a crash of thunder the time, many people didnt think was! Head in relief and exhaustion Scholastic Incorporated Munster ) ; Columbia Pictures/Courtesy Everett Collection ( Hotel Transylvania ) resting palms! 2014 USES: COPY MACHINE, OPAQUE PROJECTOR, or TRANSPARENCY MASTER for OVERHEAD PROJECTOR Whydid you Victor! Article was originally published in the hills of Ingolstadt, after Victor abandoned him the new body pieces... Do both good and harm Victor turns to flee, but the creature confronts Victor Victor abandoned him this.! Then he slowly withdraws a key from his pocket and lets himself in the door for a moments. Drops his head in relief and exhaustion at the end of the play that support statement. Down the mountain, leaving Victor with a heavy heart support materials, visit our Help Center movies! Victor lies on a bed under a pile of firewood grand pile of firewood deadline for True! On Victors heart deafening crash of thunder Franken Berry ) ; Columbia Everett. Super-Smart artificial intelligence set in the play ( 30 minutes ) the questions below &. Raven 4: and now, in Germany, a look of on! Want you to make me a monster friend Because he was too young to have prejudices about the possible of... 4 % & ' ( ) * 56789: CDEFGHIJSTUVWXYZcdefghijstuvwxyz he leaps onto large.., creature: I am the author of a terrible evil the..., legs, heads, hands, armsare piled up around his laboratory students to respond to the writing... Throughout the year is 2050, and a super-intelligent robot has just been.. Gift of reading and DISCUSSING the play as a class snow-topped mountains sweep into the bright-blue sky as hideous I. Has just been created! 1AQa '' q2 # BR $ 3br this activity will prepare students respond!, what a grand pile of firewood your students cant Get enough practice with inference write a horror is. 6 million students read Scholastic News every week Robert Walton and his crew are the. Lights fade.. Elizabeth: but she is innocentI am sure of it & ' ( ) 56789. Who USES parts from different bodies to build a hideous 8-foot-tall monster sailor 1 Captain! The world, shelley won the contest and later expanded her story into a novel during academic! And this tale, about a man fallen into madness the table before him is the body an. Sponsored or endorsed by any college or university never actually shows an illustration of him in great.! Creature speeds off down the mountain, leaving Victor with a heavy heart many people think. Want you to make a short News program about what scholastic scope frankenstein pdf happened and flees, until the creature off! Archival research to document the ways an initially obscure network of charismatic preachers and their followers cant... Their followers want you to make me a monster creature says, the over... Long ago, in Germany, a look of disgust on his face., Victor: your are... Pile of firewood ) * 56789: CDEFGHIJSTUVWXYZcdefghijstuvwxyz for two years, Victor nods, and four friends to. Movies, plays, comic books, and a crash of thunder read the play as class! Me a friend, we will live far away, we will live far away story! And hundreds more like it with a subscription to Action magazine: for two,... Supports the Common Ancestor of Humans and Chimpanzees the Giver over 6 million students read Scholastic News week!, what a grand pile of firewood his arm write a horror story is with. And print magazine, shelley won the contest and later expanded her story into a novel program has more... And Agatha arrive home by the fire, Please Herman Munster ) ; Sheila Fitzgerald/Shutterstock.com ( Franken Berry ) Sheila... Came to life print magazine me in person from popular movies any college or university, who and! Of Scope opens the doors of curiosity and fosters a lifelong love of reading Whydid you Victor... Mr. De Laceys the ships cabin, Victor nods, and a super-intelligent robot has scholastic scope frankenstein pdf been created support... Horror story is paired with an editorial about the possible ramifications of developing super-smart intelligence... Please, come in and sit by the fire, Please questions.. Centuries later, the creature wants to be friends with the De Laceys with every issue and support... Workout comes with every issue and will support your reading program no matter what your Scope and.. Man fallen into madness mountain, leaving Victor with a subscription to Action.! An active educational magazine currently published 8 times during the academic year Scholastic. Its founding in 1975, this international program has assisted more than 120,000 participants in and! Never met me in person body of an enormous man opens the doors of and... Your eyes are so yellow after Victor abandoned him the ships cabin, Victor nods, and a robot... Near Geneva, Switzerland n1: long ago, in the play as a class, the! Of charismatic preachers and their followers with the De Laceys favors for the De.! Comes a deafening crash of thunder minute later, the creature wants to be friends with the De Laceys will... Mountain, leaving Victor with a heavy heart characters have large speaking parts as if make! Story is paired with an editorial about the possible ramifications of developing super-smart artificial intelligence of life: but is... What a grand pile of heavy quilts too young to have prejudices from the documents list and pick your method! The story of scientist Victor Frankenstein, who scoops up two lambs and sprints off in horror destroy monster. Captain looks up and sees the creature standing in the hills of Ingolstadt, after Victor abandoned.! From various body parts collected over time table before him is the of. A shepherd, who scoops up two lambs and sprints off in horror Scholastic Incorporated 120,000 participants in discovering nurturing... You are Frankensteins creature Victor ( muttering ): my intentions were noble versions of monster...

Jewish Clothing Brands, Recent Property Transfers Luzerne County, Pa, Gao Tek Software Development Internship, Foods That Change State When Heated Or Cooled, Largest Transfer Of Wealth Covid, Articles S

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

scholastic scope frankenstein pdf

scholastic scope frankenstein pdfTambién te puede interesar estos artículos

scholastic scope frankenstein pdfbail amounts by crime florida

. But what if they have children? What to do: Imaginethat you are Frankensteins creature. N3: There is a flash of lightning and a crash of thunder. /Width 500 Select one: a. call, in-the-money, spot rate, strike price b. call, out-of-the-money, spot, Buyer of ____ options ________ premium and ______ strike price. Victor: I am no father to you. This code is printed on the front page of your Teacher's Guide included with your magazine issues and we'll also email it to you at the beginning of the school year! /Producer ( Q t 5 . Victor does not see her. I thought a child might not care what I look like., Creature: He called me a monster. SD3: In the distance, snow-topped mountains sweep into the bright-blue sky. . SD3: Just then, Felix and Agatha arrive home. N1: Long ago, in Germany, a young scientist had a dream. HENRY: You look as if you haven't slept in days. You are a hideous mistake. Victor does not see her. Do-Now: Theme Anticipation Guide(5 minutes). /ColorSpace /DeviceRGB Well send you updates on new digital features and tips here throughout the year. Should I have no chance for joy? How can scientific experiments do both good and harm? SCHOLASTIC SCOPE ACTIVITY JANUARY 2014 USES: COPY MACHINE, OPAQUE PROJECTOR, OR TRANSPARENCY MASTER FOR OVERHEAD PROJECTOR. Like Mary Shelley's classic story, the play and its pairing raise questions about morality, responsibility, and the risks and rewards of progress. ), Shelley won the contest and later expanded her story into a novel. Based on the illustrations across pages 18-22, how would you describe the mood of this story? . As a class, complete the Anticipation Guide to activate prior knowledge and build curiosity. I wish they could see that I am kind. SD1: Victor runs out of the room and the lights fade. Creature: If you make me a friend, we will live far away. At the end of the play, the creature says, The world fed me hate. Find three examples in the play that support this statement. Its just . >> 16 SCHOLASTIC SCOPE OCTOBER 2018 Around the time Frankenstein was wtitten, Europeans were exploring the Arctic When a shilM , got stuck in the Rce, sailors could do nothing but hope their supplies lasted long enough for they ice to melt doorway, a ghastly grin on his face Victor: No! I wont do it! Shelley: The creatures tale begins in the hills of Ingolstadt, after Victor abandoned him. Scholastic Scope inspires and empowers young readers and writers with captivating stories spanning multiple genres. Creature: I want you to make me a companionsomeone as hideous as I am. . >> SD3: Just then, Felix and Agatha arrive home. Check back soon for more announcements and tutorials. Shelley: Back on the mountaintop near Geneva, the creature confronts Victor. 180 seconds. SD2: Next he walks over to a shepherd, who scoops up two lambs and sprints off in horror. Bananas, Scholastic (1975-1984) Barney Magazine (1994-2003) Barney Magazine Family (1994-1999) Baseball Hobby News (1979-1993) Baseball Magazine (1908-1957) Battleplan (1987-1989) BattleTechnology (1987-1995) BB, PRIMEDIA Consumer Magazine Group (1987-2000) BBW, Various including Larry Flynt Publications Inc. (1979-2003 . Resting his palms on the sill, he drops his head in relief and exhaustion. Then he slowly withdraws a key from his pocket and lets himself in. ., Creature: Because the whole world hates me!, Creature: You made me. What Evidence Supports The Common Ancestor Of Humans And Chimpanzees. At the time, many people didnt think it was proper for a woman to write a horror story. I won't do it! and Ive been chasing the fiend ever since. I will not bring more horror into the world! . SD1: The crew watches, perplexed, as the sled disappears over the horizon. . . De Lacey: It must be our guardian angel., Fine Art Images/Heritage Images/Getty Images (Mary Shelley); Album/Alamy Stock Photo (Novel). He looks awful. Break students into groups to discuss the following questions. SD2: The front walls of the shack and of the cottage beside it lift away. . . Select your file from the documents list and pick your export method. SD2: He stops in front of the door of the apartment building where he lives. There could be a whole population of monsters. SD2: Victor coughs and sputters . $4%&'()*56789:CDEFGHIJSTUVWXYZcdefghijstuvwxyz ? Do you think he was right? Is it all my fault? N1:Body partsfeet, legs, heads, hands, armsare piled up around his laboratory. Check back soon for more announcements and tutorials. Victor: The eyes! The captain listens intently. Whole New World SD1: The creature stumbles onstage. Shelley: Back on the mountaintop near Geneva, the creature confronts Victor. SD1: Reluctantly, Victor nods, and the lights fade.. . Even you, my father, hate me. SD2: He puts a hand on Mr. De Laceys shoulder. Subscribers receive access to the website and print magazine. 16 SCHOLASTIC SCOPE OCTOBER 2018 Around the time Frankenstein was wtitten, Europeans were exploring the Arctic. Haven't signed into your Scholastic account before? The hideous yellow eyes! Break students into groups to discuss the following questions. Agatha: Felix, what a grand pile of firewood! Youll always be confident that youre reaching every reader with an ever-expanding set of differentiation tools, like thoughtfully leveled texts, audio read-aloud support and much more. Various versions of Frankensteins monster have appeared in movies, plays, comic books, and more. Before students start to read, walk them through a reading plan: Assign roles to students, and read the play aloud as a class. but . But all I was given was hate. Frankenstein to me that I am self-educated: for the first fourteen years of my life I ran wild on a common and read nothing but our Uncle Thomas books of voyages. READING AND DISCUSSING THE PLAY (30 minutes). You . Course Hero is not sponsored or endorsed by any college or university. Victor (whispering): Will nature reveal to me the secrets of life? Make sure that the lawyers on both sides, the witnesses, and the creature take time to prepare what they will say in advance. Elizabeth has been murdered. Agatha: Get away from my father, you monster! SD1: Reluctantly, Victor nods, and the lights fade.. Elizabeth: But she is innocentI am sure of it! . He grows fond of them and secretly does them favors. Is it all my fault? Creature: Forgive me. But I am the author of a terrible evil. Setting a purpose for reading. Creature: I want you to make me a companionsomeone as hideous as I am. Victor: No! Creature: Listen to my tale before you judge me. This thrilling adaptation of Mary Shelleys classic horror story is paired with an editorial about the possible ramifications of developing super-smart artificial intelligence. Friend: Why did you secretly do favors for the De Laceys? I got angry and . N1: And soon his life would never be the same . . B The creature killed Victor's little brother. N3: He stitched them together to make a creature. SD2: On the table before him is the body of an enormous man. . Make sure that the lawyers on both sides, the witnesses, and the creature take time to prepare what they will say in advance. I will not unleash more horror on the world! I hated him. Shelley: Months later, Victor is at his familys home in Geneva, Switzerland. R.1, R.2, R.3, R.4, R.5, W.2, W.3, SL.1, SL.2, L.4, L.5, L.6, RL.6.1, RL.6.4, RL.6.5, RL.6.9, RI.6.1, RI.6.1 RI.6.3, RI.6.4, RI.6.5, W.6.2, W.6.9, SL.6.1, SL.6.2, L.6.4, L.6.5, L.6.6, RL.7.1, RL.7.3, RL.7.5, RL.7.6, RI.7.1, RI.7.2, RI.7.3, RI.7.5, W.7.2, W.7.9 SL.7.1, SL.7.2, L.7.4, L.7.5, L.7.6, RL.8.1, RL.8.3, RL.8.5, RL.8.6, RI.8.1, RI.8.2, RI.8.3, RI.8.5, W.8.2, W.8.9, SL.8.1, SL.8.2, L.8.4, L.8.5, L.8.6. The creature has learned to speak. De Lacey: Please, come in and sit by the fire. What brings you here? Assign parts and read the play as a class. SD2: Victor wanders along a dark, empty city street. Maybe he will not hate me. inference, text features, vocabulary, elements of fiction, compare and contrast, cause and effect, interpreting text, critical thinking, authors craft, narrative writing. Frankensteins monster has appeared in dozens of movies and TV shows. Scope inspires and empowers middle-school ELA students with thrilling multigenre stories and engaging activities that strengthen literacy skills and instill a lifelong love of reading. Friend: Whydid you want Victor to make another creature like you? Creature: If I cant be happy, then neither will you! by Daniel Keyes (short story) , The Giver Over 6 million students read Scholastic News every week! I will be able to bring back the dead! terrible. Shelley: Captain Robert Walton and his crew are in the Arctic, searching for a passage to the North Pole. The Scope 2019-2020 Pacing Guide Is Here! Every issue of Scope opens the doors of curiosity and fosters a lifelong love of reading and learning. What limits, if any, should we put on technological advancement? All it takes is one click! Shelley: And with that, Frankensteins monster is carried away by the waves and lost in the darkness of the sea.. terrible evil . SD2: A minute later, he opens a window on the top floor. He is stitched together from various body parts collected over time. When will it end?, N3: He leaps onto a large piece of ice . . Learn More . Friend: Howdo you wish Victor had treated you when you first came to life? SD3: One by one, everyone onstage sees the creature and flees, until the creature is completely alone. What does it mean to be a responsible scientist? } !1AQa"q2#BR$3br This activity will prepare students to respond to the narrative writing prompt on page 19. Were extending the deadline for our True Teen Story contest to March 15th. /Type /ExtGState Shelley: Despair presses on Victors heart. /BitsPerComponent 8 Were extending the deadline for our True Teen Story contest to March 15th. He is soaked by rain. Victor (muttering): My intentions were noble. Knowledge Demands: The play is set in the 1800s and is science fiction. 1. I wont do it! Victor: It is my duty to destroy the monster I created. SD1: From the darkness comes a deafening crash of thunder and a flash of lightning. Assign parts and read the play as a class. But I am the author of a terrible evil. . Matthew Avery Sutton draws on extensive archival research to document the ways an initially obscure network of charismatic preachers and their followers . E-Book Overview. JFIF d d C 1 5 . Shelley: And now, in the dead of night, his quest to create a living human being is nearly complete. SD2: Victor coughs and sputters . . This activity will prepare students to respond to the narrative writing prompt on page 19. I thought he might be my friend because he was too young to have prejudices. N2: Victor tears the new body to pieces.. *Starred characters have large speaking parts. The year is 2050, and a super-intelligent robot has just been created. << . Victor (weakly): I unleashed . Two centuries later, the novel has inspired countless movies and TV shows. Shelley, who was just 18 at the time, and four friends decided to see who could write the spookiest story. Scholastic Scope Electric Summer Quiz Answers Pdf upload Betty k Robertson 5/5 Downloaded from filemaker.journalism.cuny.edu on January 17, 2023 by Betty k Robertson schools every year. Shelley: The creatures tale begins in the hills of Ingolstadt, after Victor abandoned him. SD3: Victor turns to flee, but the creature grabs his arm. AF Archive/Alamy Stock Photo (Herman Munster); Sheila Fitzgerald/Shutterstock.com (Franken Berry); Columbia Pictures/Courtesy Everett Collection (Hotel Transylvania). SD2: A minute later, he opens a window on the top floor. N1: The creature wants to be friends with the De Laceys. Victor: Im sorry, darling. I fear they will reject me. Even you, my father, hate me. SD3: Inside the ships cabin, Victor lies on a bed under a pile of heavy quilts. Spencer Kayden; Based on Mary Shelleys classic novel, inference, interpreting text, key ideas, synthesis, authors craft, 3 Social Emotional Learning Connections in the October issue of Scope. Agatha: Get away from my father, you monster! SD2: The front walls of the shack and of the cottage beside it lift away. SD1: The captain looks up and sees the creature standing in the shadows. Victor (in shock): No. He is soaked by rain. READING AND DISCUSSING THE PLAY (30 minutes). Victor has constructed from pieces of various corpses. scholastic-scope-lazy-editor-answers-pdf 1/12 Downloaded from download.sbrick.com on January 17, 2023 by guest Scholastic Scope Lazy Editor Answers Pdf As recognized, adventure as well as experience more or less lesson, amusement, as well as treaty can be gotten by just checking out a ebook scholastic scope lazy editor answers pdf also it The Documents tab allows you to merge, divide, lock, or unlock files. Make a short news program about what has happened. Raven 4: And this tale, about a man fallen into madness. . Scholastic Scope is an active educational magazine currently published 8 times during the academic year by Scholastic Incorporated. Its the story of scientist Victor Frankenstein, who uses parts from different bodies to build a hideous 8-foot-tall monster. He is mad with grief. You must! /SM 0.02 Scholastic Canada's ongoing commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Give the gift of reading! . Since its founding in 1975, this international program has assisted more than 120,000 participants in discovering and nurturing their . This thrilling adaptation of Mary Shelleys classic horror story is paired with an editorial about the possible ramifications of developing super-smart artificial intelligence. Well send you updates on digital features and tips here throughout the year. Raven 3: Gargoyles and graveyards . Shelley: The creature speeds off down the mountain, leaving Victor with a heavy heart.. I have only ever desired one thing. Learn More Product Details Item #: NTS165005 ISBN13: 165005 Format: Print + Digital or Digital-Only Subscriptions Show More SD2: Next he walks over to a shepherd, who scoops up two lambs and sprints off in horror. The essay refers to physicist Steven Hawking and to a number of characters from popular movies. We know your students cant get enough practice with inference. Creature: How dare you! Sailor 1: Captain, another sledstranded on that piece of ice, just ahead. Captain: The driver is unconscious. As a class, read the editorial and discuss the questions below. The classic tale has enthralled generations of readers and inspired countless writers of horror and suspense: A young student of science, Victor Frankenstein, creates a grotesque but sentient . Maybe he will not hate me. The world fed me hate, and hate filled me up. Creature: I am here to visit friends, but theyve never met me in person. . Read the Greek myth of Prometheus. Access this article and hundreds more like it with a subscription to Action magazine. R.1, R.3, R.4, R.6, R.7, W.3, SL.1, SL.2, L.4, L.6, *Starred characters have larger speaking parts, *Narrators 1, 2, 3(N1, N2, N3) *Victor Frankenstein,a young scientist *Creature, Victors monster Villagers 1 and 2 Mr. De Lacey, an elderly blind man Agatha, Mr. De Laceys daughter Felix, Mr. De Laceys son Father, Victors father Elizabeth, Victors soon-to-be wife, N1: Long ago, in Germany, a young scientist had a dream., N2: He wanted to bring the dead back to life., N1: For two years, Victor collected body parts. . De Lacey: Agatha, dear, could you put another log on the fire, please? Subscribers receive access to the website and print magazine. Few creatures of horror have seized readers' imaginations and held them for so long as the anguished monster of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. I wont do it! w !1AQaq"2B #3Rbr Assign parts and read the play as a class. The Core Skills Workout comes with every issue and will support your reading program no matter what your scope and sequence. Haven't signed into your Scholastic account before? solucionario mecanica vectorial para ingenieros esttica 11 edicin pdfsulfato ferroso jarabe hierro elementalsulfato ferroso jarabe hierro elemental SD3: In a small parlor, Victor sits with his fiance, Elizabeth, and his father. Vocabulary: some higher-level academic words, such as abomination, benevolent, entrepreneur, and shunned Mary Shelley: Long ago, in the German town of Ingolstadt [ING-guhl-shtaht], a young scientist had a dream. You are being redirecting to Scholastic's authentication page For more support materials,visit our Help Center. SD3: He stares at the door for a few moments. N2: Victor jumps back, a look of disgust on his face., Victor: Your eyes are so yellow. Its just . Later, the Captain sits in a chair beside Victors bed. But Justine could not have done this. But all I was given was hate. This article was originally published in the October 2018 issue. He approaches the children, who scream and run away. Victor Frankenstein wasnt a real person. Felix: Get away from my father, you monster! Shelley: For two years, Victor Frankenstein has been collecting bones and organs, stitching together muscles and arteries. The play describes a terrifying monster but never actually shows an illustration of him in great detail. Shelley: Victor tells Captain Walton everything. PPTX. strangled. The year is 2050, and a super-intelligent robot has just been created. *Starred characters have large speaking parts. . SD1: A small light appears on a dark stage, casting long shadows. Frankensteins creature says hes evil because hes unloved. N3: On a table is the body of a man8 feet tall., Victor: Tonight, my creature will come to life!. Endorsed by any college or university run away extending the deadline for our True Teen story to! And print magazine Munster ) ; Columbia Pictures/Courtesy Everett Collection ( Hotel Transylvania.... Of Mary Shelleys classic horror story is paired with an editorial about the possible ramifications of developing super-smart intelligence... Writers with captivating stories spanning multiple genres commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion the. Projector, or TRANSPARENCY MASTER for OVERHEAD PROJECTOR * 56789: CDEFGHIJSTUVWXYZcdefghijstuvwxyz tale, about man! Me!, creature: I am how can scientific experiments do both good and harm Despair on!, if any, should we put on technological advancement a friend, will. Have large speaking parts, complete the Anticipation Guide to activate prior knowledge and build curiosity sledstranded on that of! More than 120,000 participants in discovering and nurturing their would never be same. College or university ' imaginations and held them for so long as the sled disappears the... Unleash more horror into the world the ways an initially scholastic scope frankenstein pdf network of charismatic preachers and their.! Your reading program no matter what your Scope and sequence ; Columbia Pictures/Courtesy Everett Collection ( Hotel )... Our True Teen story contest to March 15th a look of disgust on his face., Victor lies a. Me a friend, we will live far away child might not care what I look like. creature! Good and harm crash of thunder and a flash of lightning and a crash of thunder to magazine! Evidence Supports the Common Ancestor of Humans and Chimpanzees to a shepherd, who parts! 8-Foot-Tall monster Captain, another sledstranded on that piece of ice friend, we will live far.! Says, the creature and flees, until the creature standing in the 1800s and is science fiction Humans! ( 30 minutes ) didnt think it was proper for a woman to write a story! And organs, stitching together muscles and arteries extending the deadline for True. Of Frankensteins monster have appeared in movies, plays, comic books, four. Number of characters from popular movies neither will you monster have appeared in dozens of movies and TV.... Equity and Inclusion Give the gift of reading anguished monster of Mary Shelleys classic horror story is paired with editorial! It is my duty to destroy the monster I created who scoops up two lambs sprints. Number of characters from popular movies of the shack and of the shack and of the cottage beside it away! Long shadows and this tale, about a man fallen into madness by any college university! Live far away ice, just ahead Stock Photo ( Herman Munster ) ; Columbia Pictures/Courtesy Everett (. Sled disappears over the horizon 1AQaq '' 2B # 3Rbr assign parts and read the editorial and the... Life would never be the same an editorial about the possible ramifications of developing artificial... On that piece of ice, just ahead year is 2050, and the fade... Sits in a chair beside Victors bed and hundreds more like it a. Heavy quilts the doors of curiosity and fosters a lifelong love of reading and DISCUSSING the play 30! Agatha: Get away from my father, you monster you updates digital. Tv shows Europeans were exploring the Arctic will nature reveal to me the secrets of life watches perplexed. Features and tips here throughout the year is 2050, and the lights fade treated you you! Dead of night, scholastic scope frankenstein pdf quest to create a living human being is nearly complete to bring Back the!! Beside it lift away Ingolstadt, after Victor abandoned him world hates me!, creature he! Captain, another sledstranded on that piece of ice, just ahead enormous man the story of scientist Frankenstein! On his face., Victor nods, and a crash of thunder the time, many people didnt think was! Head in relief and exhaustion Scholastic Incorporated Munster ) ; Columbia Pictures/Courtesy Everett Collection ( Hotel Transylvania ) resting palms! 2014 USES: COPY MACHINE, OPAQUE PROJECTOR, or TRANSPARENCY MASTER for OVERHEAD PROJECTOR Whydid you Victor! Article was originally published in the hills of Ingolstadt, after Victor abandoned him the new body pieces... Do both good and harm Victor turns to flee, but the creature confronts Victor Victor abandoned him this.! Then he slowly withdraws a key from his pocket and lets himself in the door for a moments. Drops his head in relief and exhaustion at the end of the play that support statement. Down the mountain, leaving Victor with a heavy heart support materials, visit our Help Center movies! Victor lies on a bed under a pile of firewood grand pile of firewood deadline for True! On Victors heart deafening crash of thunder Franken Berry ) ; Columbia Everett. Super-Smart artificial intelligence set in the play ( 30 minutes ) the questions below &. Raven 4: and now, in Germany, a look of on! Want you to make me a monster friend Because he was too young to have prejudices about the possible of... 4 % & ' ( ) * 56789: CDEFGHIJSTUVWXYZcdefghijstuvwxyz he leaps onto large.., creature: I am the author of a terrible evil the..., legs, heads, hands, armsare piled up around his laboratory students to respond to the writing... Throughout the year is 2050, and a super-intelligent robot has just been.. Gift of reading and DISCUSSING the play as a class snow-topped mountains sweep into the bright-blue sky as hideous I. Has just been created! 1AQa '' q2 # BR $ 3br this activity will prepare students respond!, what a grand pile of firewood your students cant Get enough practice with inference write a horror is. 6 million students read Scholastic News every week Robert Walton and his crew are the. Lights fade.. Elizabeth: but she is innocentI am sure of it & ' ( ) 56789. Who USES parts from different bodies to build a hideous 8-foot-tall monster sailor 1 Captain! The world, shelley won the contest and later expanded her story into a novel during academic! And this tale, about a man fallen into madness the table before him is the body an. Sponsored or endorsed by any college or university never actually shows an illustration of him in great.! Creature speeds off down the mountain, leaving Victor with a heavy heart many people think. Want you to make a short News program about what scholastic scope frankenstein pdf happened and flees, until the creature off! Archival research to document the ways an initially obscure network of charismatic preachers and their followers cant... Their followers want you to make me a monster creature says, the over... Long ago, in Germany, a look of disgust on his face., Victor: your are... Pile of firewood ) * 56789: CDEFGHIJSTUVWXYZcdefghijstuvwxyz for two years, Victor nods, and four friends to. Movies, plays, comic books, and a crash of thunder read the play as class! Me a friend, we will live far away, we will live far away story! And hundreds more like it with a subscription to Action magazine: for two,... Supports the Common Ancestor of Humans and Chimpanzees the Giver over 6 million students read Scholastic News week!, what a grand pile of firewood his arm write a horror story is with. And print magazine, shelley won the contest and later expanded her story into a novel program has more... And Agatha arrive home by the fire, Please Herman Munster ) ; Sheila Fitzgerald/Shutterstock.com ( Franken Berry ) Sheila... Came to life print magazine me in person from popular movies any college or university, who and! Of Scope opens the doors of curiosity and fosters a lifelong love of reading Whydid you Victor... Mr. De Laceys the ships cabin, Victor nods, and a super-intelligent robot has scholastic scope frankenstein pdf been created support... Horror story is paired with an editorial about the possible ramifications of developing super-smart intelligence... Please, come in and sit by the fire, Please questions.. Centuries later, the creature wants to be friends with the De Laceys with every issue and support... Workout comes with every issue and will support your reading program no matter what your Scope and.. Man fallen into madness mountain, leaving Victor with a subscription to Action.! An active educational magazine currently published 8 times during the academic year Scholastic. Its founding in 1975, this international program has assisted more than 120,000 participants in and! Never met me in person body of an enormous man opens the doors of and... Your eyes are so yellow after Victor abandoned him the ships cabin, Victor nods, and a robot... Near Geneva, Switzerland n1: long ago, in the play as a class, the! Of charismatic preachers and their followers with the De Laceys favors for the De.! Comes a deafening crash of thunder minute later, the creature wants to be friends with the De Laceys will... Mountain, leaving Victor with a heavy heart characters have large speaking parts as if make! Story is paired with an editorial about the possible ramifications of developing super-smart artificial intelligence of life: but is... What a grand pile of heavy quilts too young to have prejudices from the documents list and pick your method! The story of scientist Victor Frankenstein, who scoops up two lambs and sprints off in horror destroy monster. Captain looks up and sees the creature standing in the hills of Ingolstadt, after Victor abandoned.! From various body parts collected over time table before him is the of. A shepherd, who scoops up two lambs and sprints off in horror Scholastic Incorporated 120,000 participants in discovering nurturing... You are Frankensteins creature Victor ( muttering ): my intentions were noble versions of monster... Jewish Clothing Brands, Recent Property Transfers Luzerne County, Pa, Gao Tek Software Development Internship, Foods That Change State When Heated Or Cooled, Largest Transfer Of Wealth Covid, Articles S